Tuesday, February 4, 2014

What is Truth?




I saw a quote the other day that really made me stand back and think.  The quote said this: It’s funny how everybody considers honesty a virtue, yet no one wants to hear the truth.  The questions that immediately flashed into my mind were these. What is truth?  Is it predominantly the same for every person?  Is there one final truth in everything?

We as human’s share this space we call earth and yet we have so many different perspectives of what the “truth” is when it comes to so many things.  The dictionary defines truth as a judgment, proposition, or idea that is true or accepted as true. So is truth the same for one as it is to another?  I think not.

We can express our opinion on a subject but there is not one truth.  What we believe is our truth and may not be the truth of another.  It is our duty of citizens of this earth to respect others opinions and to walk in harmony with one another.   While sharing of ideas is a wonderful way to expand our horizons and grow we need to respect one another and the path that they choose.

I suggest when we come together as one community, one nation and one world that we look at each person’s right to believe their truth.  When we discuss anything it is with an open mind and an open heart.  We are all just living in this space temporarily and so we should respect each person’s right to live the life that is true and just for them.

1 comment:

  1. Well the problem dear is that many people beleive they know the "truth" but have no facts to prove it, no arguements to back it up, but are convinced they and only they know what the right answer is. It is no different for 16 year old, 22 year old college student or a 50 year old manager! They have their thoughts set in stone and nothing will change it, not even logic! I have had issues with many people in my private and professional life because they ask me a question, I respond with an honest answer(the truth) and their response is "that is not the answer I wanted to hear"?? They didn't ask for their answer, they asked for "the truth", trying to change their mind, or even understand where my answer is coming from can be the truly challenging part of the conversation. You know as well as I do that in our business, if people lie it increases the chance that somebody is going to die!

    ReplyDelete